The Tennessee Disability Coalition partnered with the Tennessee Secretary of State and Disability Rights...
Brain Resource and Information Network
We are a resource and training network for educators, families, and health professionals who support students in Tennessee with Traumatic Brain Injury. Our mission is to improve the educational outcomes for our students. Traumatic Brain Injuries can happen to any one at any time, and a concussion counts! A concussion is a traumatic brain injury.
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), each year at least 1.7 million traumatic brain injuries occur in the United States.
Although TBI is very common, many medical and education professionals may not realize that some difficulties can be caused by a childhood brain injury. Often, students with TBI are thought to have a learning disability, emotional disturbance, or receive other misdiagnoses. As a result, they don’t receive the type of educational help and support they really need.
Project BRAIN is addressing how best to support students with TBI through:
- Partnering with TN hospitals to promote effective communication between healthcare professionals, families and educators.
- Reaching out to families & students to share helpful tools and resources.
- Providing training and ongoing support to schools, families and healthcare providers in the early identification of children with TBI.
- Connecting all school faculty and staff to topical resources, information, and classroom supports.
- Raising awareness about TBI.
"At a Glance" Overview of Project BRAIN
Project BRAIN is/was supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under Grant No. H21MCO26923, Traumatic Brain Injury Implementation Partnership Grants for $241,630, and in part by TN Departments of Health and Education. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government. Also the Tennessee Department of Education, Division of College and Career Readiness and the Tennessee Department of Health, TBI Program.